Fuzzy logic refers to technology inside the rice cooker. It adjusts the cooking time and temperature, as needed by the type of grain. Even for less common types of rice, you end up with perfect rice. A fuzzy logic-enabled rice cooker can cook white, short grain, long grain, sushi or brown rice and most other grains.
It’s the “fuzzy logic” that lets you get away with not being as precise when measuring the ratio of rice to water.
Yes, you can expect to pay a bit more for rice cookers with digital technology, compared to the more basic models. But the results are worth it if you know what you’re looking for.
Whether you’re cooking small or large quantities, a rice cooker with its own microcomputer will do a better job than cooking rice on the stove. Want to know the bestselling digital rice cookers for 2020? Then you’re in the right place to compare by brand and what they can do.
I’ve taken the hard work out of shopping online by doing all the research and product comparisons for you. Here you’ll find everything you need to choose the best digital rice cooker to buy for your home.
These digital rice cookers are all great value. But if I had to pick one, I really like the Japanese made Zojirushi Neuro Fuzzy Logic Rice Cooker and Warmer. The 5.5 cup size is just right for my family, but it also comes in the 1.8 liters (10-cups) if you need a larger size. It lives up to the hype and praise from other users. It makes perfect, tasty rice every time and even adapts to different types of rice and other grains.
This list includes the best sellers available on Amazon.com. Ranked at least 4 stars and above by customers that have bought and cooked with the products. They outperform the other products in the fuzzy logic rice cooker category.
The comparison includes models that are small enough to cook 4 to 6 cups of rice. That’s small enough for singles or couples and large enough for a regular family of four people. Some brands – like Panasonic and Zojirushi also come in larger sizes, able to cook 10 cups of uncooked rice, if you’re regularly cooking for more people.
Whether you want a popular brand from the list, or to go for technical features you like, there’s many to choose from.
So, let’s find the right digital rice cooker for you!
Best Digital Rice Cookers
Rice Cooker Expert Reviews – Digital Rice Cookers
Hamilton Beach Digital Programmable Rice Cooker & Food Steamer
Brand: Hamilton Beach (model 37518)
Capacity: 4 cups (uncooked)
Dimensions: 8.25 x 9.74 x 9.88 inches
It’s easy to cook a complete and delicious, healthy meal in this electric rice cooker and steamer – just put everything in the bowl and turn it on. Cooks rice and whole grains perfectly, plus an integrated basket can be used to steam seafood, poultry and vegetables at the same time as the rice cooks below. The 2-in-1 steamer basket can also be used to rinse grains before cooking to prevent clumping and results in a fresher taste. The non-stick cooking pot is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning. Its compact size makes for easy storage.
- Four pre-programmed settings include white rice, whole grains, steam and hot cereal
- Steam basket for steaming other food like fish, chicken and vegetables makes it perfect for one-pot meals.
- 2 in 1 steamer and rinse basket
- Countdown timer and warm function automatically keeps food warm after the cook cycle is complete.
- Can take longer to cook rice than other cookers (about 40-45 minutes), but does have a digital countdown timer so you can see how long it will take and makes a sound when it’s done.
Zojirushi Neuro Fuzzy Logic Rice Cooker and Warmer
Brand: Zojirushi (model NS-ZCC10)
Capacity: 5.5 cups (uncooked) rice; also comes in 10-cup
Dimensions: 13.00 x 8.13 x 10.13 inches
The Neuro Fuzzy is known for making perfect Japanese rice and is great at other varieties. It features a variety of cooking functions including white (regular, sushi, softer or harder), mixed rice, porridge, sweet, semi-brown, brown, rinse-free and quick cooking rice. The micro computerized, advanced Neuro fuzzy logic technology and sphere-shaped inner pan provide even heating for better cooking. The pan has stay cool side handles for safe handling. A programmable melody lets you know when the cooking cycle has finished. Other highlights include a detachable and washable inner lid, an easy-to-read LCD control panel, and automatic keep warm, extended keep warm and reheating cycle and delay timer. Designed for easy transport and storage.
- Perfect for cooking different types of grains and rice, including long-grain and brown rice and porridge.
- Useful safety features including side handles on the inner pan making it easier to remove.
- Extra large, easy-to-read LCD display.
- Retractable power chord and fold down handle for easy transport and storage.
- Programmable delay timer (2 settings) to start when you’re ready and programmable melody to let you know when cooking is completed.
- Easy to clean after use.
- Costs more than other models, given capacity.
- Control panel isn’t intuitive for some cooks.
- Slower than most but it comes with a quick cooking option if you’re in a hurry.
Panasonic Rice Cooker with Fuzzy Logic and One-Touch Cooking
Brand: Panasonic (model – white – SR-DF101)
Capacity: 1 liter, 5 cup (uncooked rice); also comes in 10-cup
Dimensions: 10.20 x 13.90 x 7.80 inches
The Panasonic Japanese-style Rice Cooker takes the hard work out of preparing delicious home-cooked meals. With a capacity of up to 5 cups of uncooked rice, this rice cooker works well for healthy meals for one or two people, as well as larger meals when cooking for family or friends. Choose a pre-programmed setting to cook brown rice, white rice, glutinous rice, mixed rice, short or long-grained rice to perfection. For a quick and healthy option, add fresh vegetables to the steamer basket or use the quick cook/steam function for quick appetizing side dishes. You can even cook oatmeal, grits, or other hot cereals – adding water or milk for a low-effort, hearty breakfast. The rice cooker’s automatic shut-off function means no overcooked rice, and its keep-warm setting activates automatically when cooking is complete. The contents stay at an ideal serving temperature for up to 12 hours.
- Fuzzy logic technology, yet simple rice cooker
- One touch cooking with pre-programmed settings to cook white rice, brown rice, porridge, oatmeal, soup and other healthy ingredients for main dishes, sides, snacks and hot breakfasts.
- Large one-touch control buttons, easily labelled with 4 pre-programmed menu options for quick cook and steam functions
- Keep warm feature keeps contents at ideal serving temperature for up to 12 hours.
- Includes steaming basket – ideal for vegetables, dumplings.
- Push-button lid release for easy opening and a domed lid that prevents excess water seeping back into the contents of the pot.
- Non-stick-coated pan for effortless cleaning.
- Attractive, compact design that fits neatly into any kitchen, or for convenient serving directly at the dinner table.
- Takes longer to work and cook rice compared to other models (depending on the rice, can take 40 to 55 minutes).
- Messy steaming.
- A bit bulky.
TIGER Micom Rice Cooker with Food Steamer Basket
Brand: Tiger Corporation (model – White – JBV-A10U)
Capacity: 5.5-Cup (uncooked rice); also comes in 10-cup
Dimensions: 13.90 x 10.60 x 8.40 inches
This Tiger ranks well with Amazon customers because of its simplicity. Measure the rice and water, close the lid, and hit the start button and in 30 minutes the rice is ready. The “synchro-cooking” function lets you cook the rice and main dish at the same time. The steamer basket also has steam holes on the sides (instead of the bottom) so there’s no juices dripping from the steamer into the rice and changing its taste or texture.
- Good, easy to use, basic rice cooker and useful steam basket
- Cooks good quality white rice (2 cups uncooked) in about 15 minutes, so its quick.
- Bulky size takes up space on the countertop.
- Lack of presets for cooking other types of grains apart from white and brown rice
Zojirushi Micom Rice Cooker & Warmer
Brand: Zojirushi (model NS-LGC05XB, stainless black)
Capacity: 3-cups (uncooked rice), ideal for small families and couples.
Dimensions: 11.88 x 9.13 x 7.50 inches
Features an expanded menu with steel cut oatmeal and GABA brown rice settings for more healthy options. With its compact size and ability to cook as little as 1/2 a cup of rice or oats, this rice cooker is ideal for small families or couples.
- Advanced fuzzy logic technology prepares perfect rice every time
- Easy to clean clear-coated stainless steel exterior.
- Multi-menu cooking functions and settings for different grains (white/mixed riced, sushi rice, brown rice, GABA brown rice, long grain white rice and steel cut oatmeal).
- Designed for even heating.
- Detachable and washable inner lid.
- Easy to store retractable cord and fold-down handle for easy transportation.
- Removable steam vent cap allows for high-temperature cooking without messy overflows.
- Takes a long time to cook rice or oatmeal, unless you have time to set up the automatic timer in advance.
Cuckoo Rice Cooker & Warmer, Steam Multicook
Brand: Cuckoo (model – Red/White- CR-0655F)
Capacity: 6 cups (uncooked rice); 1. 08 liters/ 1.5 quarts
Dimensions: 9.40 x 8.60 x 13.00 inches
Cuckoo’s Smart Algorithm technology lets you enjoy the nutritional benefits of Gaba rice with just a touch of a button. Features 8 Smart built in programs: glutinous (white rice), mixed rice, brown Gaba, porridge plus steam, cook baby food, multi-cook and warm/reheat. Easy clean with detachable cover. The pan is coated with non-stick Teflon to stop the rice or other food from sticking and burning.
- Programs to make several different types of rice, porridge and baby food
- Easy clean detachable cover
- Push button auto steam clean function to clean and sanitize the interior of the rice cooker.
- Non-stick coating
- Pre-set timer for 12hours and 50 minutes ahead.
- Automatically switches on “keep warm” mode.
- Adjustable warm temperature based on your preference from 69°C(156°F) to 80°C(176°F).
- Comes with instruction manual but not easy to follow.
- Cheaper than some other Cuckoo models because made in China (not Korea).
More Information: Buying the Best Digital Rice Cooker
Still can’t decide? You’ve read all about the products reviewed here, but you’re still not sure which type of digital rice cooker is right for you. Go back to basics and read the Rice Cooker Expert Buying Guide. And read the most frequently asked questions about cooking rice that I’ve answered for you.
You’ll find a few tips about defining what product features are important to you. Then you can look for the rice cooker that will provide the most value. It can help you compare each model when price is not the only factor to consider.