Are you looking for the best basic rice cooker to cater for one or two people? Do you want a quick and easy way to compare the top rated, small rice cookers for 2020? If the answer is yes, then you’re on the right page.
I’ve taken the hard work out of shopping online by doing all the research and product comparisons for you. Here you’ll find everything you need to choose the best small rice cooker to buy for your home.
This list includes the best sellers. Ranked at least 4 stars and above by customers and cooks that have bought and cooked with the products. They outperform all the other rice cookers in this category for cooking 5 cups (uncooked) rice or less.
For cooking small portions, I prefer the Zojirushi rice cooker (3-cups uncooked/6-cups cooked). Or if budget is an issue, my other recommendation is the Hamilton Beach Mini rice cooker. It has slightly larger capacity (4-cups uncooked rice) and a cheaper price. Both rate as Amazon’s Choice for rice cookers and are recommended highly by other testers.
No matter which one you choose – whether based on brand, price or features you like – you’ll end up with a great rice cooker.
So, which one is right for you?
Best Basic Small Rice Cookers (5 cups or less)
|PRODUCT||IMAGE||DESCRIPTION||RATING||PRICE GUIDE||CHECK PRICE ON AMAZON|
|Zojirushi NHS-06||Conventional 3-cup (uncooked) rice cooker; basic model - best for small portions.||4.4/5||$||Check on Amazon|
|Aroma Simply Stainless Rice Cooker||Health conscious design, stainless steel inner pot, 3-cup (uncooked) rice||4.2/5||$||Check on Amazon|
|Oster Rice Cooker with Steamer||Compact with one-touch controls; cooks 3 cups (uncooked) rice. Steamer tray for vegetables, fish, and more.||4.3/5||$||Check on Amazon|
|Dash Mini Rice Cooker||Compact design cooks 2 cups (uncooked) rice, quinoa, soup, pasta.||4.2/5||$||Check on Amazon|
|Hamilton Beach Mini Rice Cooker & Food Steamer||Includes Steam & Rinse basket; 4 cups (uncooked) rice. Best budget rice cooker.||4.2/5||$||Check on Amazon|
|Cuisinart Rice Cooker||Sleek stainless steel square design with steamer; 4 cups (uncooked) rice.||4.3/5||$$||Check on Amazon|
Rice Cooker Expert Reviews – Small Rice Cookers
Zojirushi NHS-06 Rice Cooker
Brand: Zojirushi (model NHS-06)
Capacity: 3-Cup (uncooked) rice, also comes in 6-cup and 10-cup with keep warm function
Dimensions: 8.5 x 8.5 x 7.63 inches
This compact rice cooker is easy-to-use with a single-switch control and a see-through glass lid with stay-cool knob. Perfect if all you need is a basic rice cooker for one or two people that automatically cooks the rice and turns off when the rice is done. Customers also report using it to cook perfect oatmeal. Renowned brand for rice cookers.
- Easy-to-use single switch control
- See-through glass lid with stay cool knob
- Stay cool handles for easy transport
- Durable non-stick inner cooking pan
- Detachable power cord for easy storage
- Perfect compact size for students, small apartments or if kitchen space is limited.
- No “keep warm” function with this model.
- Can get a bit messy when using too much water.
Aroma Simply Stainless Rice Cooker
Brand: Aroma Housewares (model ARC-753SG)
Capacity: 3 cups uncooked / 6 cups cooked rice; also comes in 14-cup (cooked) and 14-cup Digital
Dimensions: 8.20 x 8.10 x 10.30 inches
This rice cooker appeals to the health conscious because it features a stainless steel (food grade 304) cooking pot instead of the usual aluminium with non-stick coating. Easy to use and compact design saves you time in the kitchen while delivering hot, hearty and healthy meals. Automatically switches to Keep-Warm once rice is cooked so there’s no need to keep monitoring or stirring.
- Simple one-touch design for easy “set it and forget” cooking
- Stainless, food-grade steel inner pot for a clean and healthy cooking experience
- Meal versatility – perfect for oatmeal, chili, jambalaya, soups and more
- Compact unit for easy storage.
- No auto-off switch for warmer so rice may stick to bottom of the pot, the longer it is left warming.
- Inner pot is dishwasher safe but best to hand wash with water.
Oster 6-Cup Rice Cooker with Steamer
Brand: Oster (model – red 004722-000-000)
Capacity: 3 cups uncooked/6 cups cooked rice
Dimensions: 9.25 x 10.25 x 9.50 inches
This compact, basic rice cooker is easy to use with one-touch controls: single function is controlled by a single level. Cooks more than rice with the bonus 1-liter steamer tray. Comes in stylish red or black finish with tempered glass lid. Automatic keep warm feature (with auto shut-off) keeps rice hot.
- Compact and easy to use.
- Comes with steamer basket to cook vegetables, fish and even dumplings.
- Keeps rice warm after cooking, plus auto shut-off prevents food from burning.
- Removable inner pot is dishwasher safe for quick clean-up.
- Good price but other testers reported average quality rice.
Dash Mini Rice Cooker Steamer
Brand: Dash (model – Acqua – DRCM200GBAQ04; Black – DRCM200BK)
Capacity: 2 cups uncooked rice
Dimensions: 8.46 x 6.50 x 6.30 inches
This cute and compact design, mini rice cooker comes in many fun colours. Ideal size of one or two people. Perfect for apartment living, smaller kitchen, college dorms, or camper where space is an issue. It features removable non-stick pot and warmer setting with automatic shut-off. Cooks more than rice including oatmeal, stew, soup, quinoa, rice, pasta, and even steamed vegetables.
- Portable and compact design
- Keeps rice warm after cooking, plus auto shut-off
- Cooks more than rice and bonus recipe book has options for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks.
- Removable non-stick inner pot for easy cleaning.
- Plastic construction seems a bit flimsy
Hamilton Beach Mini Rice Cooker & Food Steamer
Brand: Hamilton Beach (model 37508)
Capacity: 4 cups uncooked rice
Dimensions: 8.07 x 9.61 x 8.07 inches
The Hamilton Beach Rice Cooker is perfect for making delicious, fluffy rice and cooking whole grains with minimal effort and time. It will automatically shift to warm once the cooking cycle is complete so no need to watch over a boiling pot. Prepare from 2 to 8 cups of cooked rice – enough for a single dish or catering for a small family meal.
- Best value rice cooker for anyone on a budget.
- Includes a versatile steam basket that lets you rinse rice before cooking and steam food to perfection.
- Simple, one-touch operation.
- Automatically cooks rice then switches to keep warm mode after cooking for perfect rice every time.
- Removable non-stick cooking pot for easy clean.
- Great for oatmeal.
- Electric cord is not retractable.
- Cleaning can be a bit messy.
Cuisinart Rice Cooker
Brand: Cuisinart (model CRC-400P1 CRC-400, Silver)
Capacity: 4 to 7 cups (cooked) rice; also comes in 8-15 cups (cooked)
Dimensions: 10.70 x 10.10 x 9.90 inches
Making perfectly fluffy rice is easy with the Cuisinart Rice Cooker that comes with the automatic keep warm function. Use the built-in tray to steam other foods, like fish and vegetables, while the rice is cooking for a complete and healthy dinner. The steam vent helps prevent splattering, while the chrome-plated handles stay cool to the touch. And clean-up is easy with the stylish brushed stainless-steel finish and the non-stick coating inner pot.
- Brushed stainless steel housing for easy cleaning and stay-cool chrome-plated handles.
- Traditional lever control with warm and cook settings.
- Automatically switches to warm when rice is cooked.
- Stainless steel steaming pot.
- Retractable cord for easy storage.
- Steam tray is small so not great for cooking anything more than rice.
More Information about Buying the Best Rice Cooker
Still can’t decide?! You’ve read all about the products reviewed here, but you’re still not sure which rice cooker is right for you. Go back to basics and read the Rice Cooker Expert Buying Guide. And read the frequently asked questions about cooking rice that I’ve answered for you.
You’ll find a few tips about defining what product features are important to you. Then you can look for the best rice cooker that will provide the most value. It can help you compare each model when price is not the only factor to consider.